HARVEST FESTIVAL PARISH MASS
SUNDAY 9th OCTOBER 2016 @ 10.00 am
Harvest Festival is a well loved observance in the Church of England, and has been since its modern revival in the 19th Century. There is a danger, however that such celebrations can become meaningless through repetition, and insufficient reflection on the nature of the reality being celebrated. Of course, there are no longer fields to be ‘ploughed and scattered’ in the urban context of SW16. Yet we still feel a connection with the earth, the times and seasons of the year, and most of all with the God who made all that we see around us.
Harvest must never become a sentimental ‘creation fest’. Yes we celebrate the goodness and beauty of all that God has made, but we do so, in the context of the ugliness of a fallen and sinful world, where a relatively select few enjoy a comfortable existence, whilst many others quite literally starve, not just in far off lands, but right here, in our own sleepy and suburban borough of Merton.
This year, our harvest ‘effort’ will be in Support of the work of the Christian Care Association, Merton. CCA is one of our supported Charities this year, and Fr Robert has worked for them as a befriender and Furniture Project Van Driver for the past 6 years. CCA is an ecumenical, borough wide charity, staffed entirely by volunteers, born in the 1960s out of a vision that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is indeed ‘good news for the poor’. Their work principally consists of befriending, and practically assisting those in any kind of need, often families and children in the most heartbreaking situations of poverty, who for whatever reasons, are excluded from the societal so-called ‘safety net’ of the Welfare State.
You will find below a comprehensive list of the things needed. Please take it away with you, and when you go shopping, have a look at this list, spend a little extra money on any of the items listed, and bring them to Church, on, or before 9th Oct, when these offerings will be prayed over and blessed prior to their distribution. You will be making a contribution whose value far exceeds the extra pounds you spend. The fields which need Harvesting are no less than the fields of our hearts, minds, and, yes pockets. PLEASE BE AS GENEROUS AS YOU CAN AFFORD, IN SUPPORT OF OUR HARVEST APPEAL. May the Lord bless and guide you as you consider your response to this appeal.
CHRISTIAN CARE ASSOCIATION
We are currently delivering for to up to 30 families fortnightly.
These are the items particularly needed:
- Long grain/basmati rice – 1kg and 2kg
- Cooking oil – 1litre & 2 litre bottles
- Tinned vegetables – eg tomatoes, sweetcorn, green beans,
- Tinned tuna in brine or spring water
- Tinned peaches, pineapple, mandarins, mango slices, tropical fruit salad, rice pudding
- Cereals – favourites: Cheerios, Coco Pops, Variety Packs,
- Crunchy Nut, Weetabix, Frosties
- Sweet biscuits – eg Rich Tea as well as chocolate & creams
- Sugar [granulated]
- Drinking chocolate [made with water or milk]
- Evaporated / condensed milk
- Tea in small packs
- Fruit juices & squash
- Peanut butter, chocolate spread, honey, strawberry jam
- Lunch box items: jelly & custard pots, biscuit bars, crisps, boxes of raisins, individual fruit juices in cartons
- Packet spaghetti and pastas
- Pasta sauces – tomato & herb, vegetable, mushroom
- Packets of egg noodles – fine or medium
- Baked beans
- Tomato ketchup
- Tins of hot dogs in brine
- Long life milk
NB Please choose mainly vegetarian food with long sell-by dates.
We rarely give tins of soup or spaghetti, curry sauces