Parish Policy Statement
We take the safeguarding and care of children and vulnerable adults very seriously at St Olave, Mitcham. Our Parish Safeguarding Officer can be contacted on 07956918343 and our Churchwarden can be contacted on 07562 234843.
Safeguarding policy promoting a safer church
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 13/08/2020.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy, our church is committed to:
- promoting a safer environment and culture
- safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church
- responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons responding to those who may pose a present risk to others.
The parish will:
- create a safe and caring place for all
- have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the Incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures
- safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse
- ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish
- display on church premises and on the parish website the details of whom to contact with safeguarding concerns or support needs
- listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse
- take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops’ guidance, including immediately notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies
offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred
- care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually
- review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practice at least annually
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints CAROL CAMPBELL as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
Incumbent: Fr Graham Piper
Churchwarden: Rita Harding
The Church of St. Olave, Mitcham
Church Walk, London SW16 5JH
Data Protection Policy
General Data Protection Regulations 2018
St Olave PCC Mitcham, in the Diocese of Southwark of the Church of England, is a non-profit organisation that retains personal data for membership reasons and is exempt from notification to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Personal data, limited to name, address, telephone number and electronic addresses, will only be collected and stored in paper format or processed electronically for the purposes of: making entries in legally held registers; establishing or maintaining membership of the Electoral Roll; storing information relevant to Christian Giving and to Gift Aid; for providing information about the to any persons who have requested such information.
The Electoral Roll is a legal document that must be displayed within the church at the time of its revision.
Officers of the church have to agree to the use of their details for the purpose of communications and directories maintained by the Diocese of Southwark and the Deanery Synod. It is recommended that such officers make use of a church email address, rather than use a private one.
Access to Personal Data
Personal data as above will only be accessible by: the Churchwardens; the PCC Secretary; the PCC Treasurer; the Electoral Roll Officer; the Stewardship and Gift Aid Joint Secretaries, and then only as far as their positions require.
Removal of Personal Data
Complete Electoral Rolls will be kept for a period of six years. Information related to Gift Aid will be kept for six years after the last contribution. Names on the mailing list that are not on the Electoral Roll will be removed at the request of the person concerned. Personal data held in Registers (marriages etc) is a matter of historical fact and will therefore be preserved in those Registers.
St Olave PCC Mitcham will not disclose your personal data to a third party without your specific consent, except as in the case of church officers, as above.
Your personal information, including email address, will only be kept on computers with up-to-date virus protection, firewall software and spyware maintained by those persons entitled to access to the data. A back-up copy will be kept on an encrypted removable hardware device. Any paper records of data, including Registers, will be kept in a locked safe or cabinet.
St Olave PCC Mitcham does not collect information about individual visitors to its website, but it does have access to statistical analysis of searches of the online directory.
Access to personal information (except that held in registers)
At any point you can contact us to request the information we hold on you as well as why we have that information, who has access to the information and where we obtained the information from. If the data we hold on you is out of date, incomplete or incorrect, you can inform us and your data will be updated. If you feel that we should no longer be using your data or that we are illegally using your data, you can request that we erase the data we hold. You have the right to request that we stop processing your data. You can withdraw your consent easily by telephone, email, or by post (see Contact Details on the parish website).
Data Protection Compliance Officer
All matters relating to Data Protection will be managed by the PCC Secretary or other person appointed by the Parochial Church Council.